August 1, 1864, after raiding and burning Chambersburg, the Confederate soldiers turned their sights to Cumberland. Union General Benjamin F. Kelley took raw 100-day men into battle and met the Rebs at the current site of the Rt. 220 Bridge spanning I68 near Puccini’s Restaurant. He allowed hundreds of Confederate soldiers to cross the old Folck’s Mill Covered Bridge and ambushed them on and around John Folck’s Mill. (The 1812 Brewery barn, main house and Folck’s Mill were all built by John Folck and his family.) Kelley ordered his men to fire point blank at he enemy shortly after crossing the Folk’s Mill Covered Bridge. The Southern army eventually abandoned their plans to attack Cumberland and retreated back toward Hinkle Road and eventually through Oldtown where they crossed back into Virginia, (now West Virginia), ending the South’s furthest western incursion in Maryland, “The Old Line State”. So here’s to General Kelley!